Followers

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Aunt Sue's Pound Cake from Southern Plate








I had yet to find a pound cake recipe that I was impressed with; until yesterday!  I recently checked out "Southern Plate" by Christy Jordan from the library.  I am definitely going to purchase this book.  I love ALL of the recipes and the stories that go with them.

This recipe was really easy to put together.  I love that you can put it in a cold oven and then turn it on and forget about it for an hour and a half.  Then what comes out is magical!  The crust on the top of the cake is delicious.  I highly recommend this recipe AND the cookbook.

Aunt Sue's Pound Cake

6 eggs
1 cup (2 sticks) butter 
3 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.  Grease and flour a tube pan and set out the eggs and butter to come to room temperature.

2.  In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. 

3.   Sift the flour and add it to the creamed mixture alternately with the whipping cream.  Mix until fully incorporated.  Stir in the vanilla.

4.  Pour into the tube pan and place in a cold oven.  Turn the oven to 300 degrees and bake for 80 to 90 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool completely before removing from the pan.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Eva said...

My dad and I used to eat the frozen Sara Lee pound cakes for breakfast when I was little (!!!!). This sounds like something that I'd love, especially since it's made from scratch. Looks so easy and delicious!

Reeni Pisano said...

This sounds rich and decadent! Bet it's great with some fresh berries. I love the method for baking it! Definitely a must-try.